Hi, I'm an error. x

USACE CWMS - Chemung River Watershed


Authors: Jessie Myers
Owners: Jessie Myers · Jason Sheeley · Adrian Christopher
Resource type:Collection Resource
Created:Jun 28, 2018 at 7:35 p.m.
Last updated: Jun 28, 2018 at 7:50 p.m. by Jessie Myers

Abstract

The Corps Water Management System (CWMS) includes four interrelated models to assist with water management for the basin:

- GeoHMS (Geospatial Hydrologic Modeling Extension)
- ResSIM (Reservoir System Simulation)
- RAS (River Analysis System)
- FIA (Flood Impact Analysis)

The Chemung River Basin is located within the states ofPennsylvania and New York. Of the 2,595 square miles that make up the basin, approximately 1,742
square miles or 67% of the basin is in New York with the remaining 853 square miles or 33% within Pennsylvania. The basin is characterized by rolling to flat-topped uplands with steep alluvial valleys.

The Chemung River extends for 46 miles from its headwaters near Painted Post in Steuben County, NY where it is formed by the confluence of the Cohocton and Tioga Rivers, to its confluence with the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. Besides the Tioga and Cohocton Rivers, its major tributaries include Canisteo and Cowanesque Rivers.

According to the 2010 census, the population of the Chemung River basin is approximately 223,450, which is about 5.4% of the total Susquehanna River Watershed population. Majority of the population (about 81%) resides in the portion of the watershed that lies within New York. The major population centers in New York include the cities of Hornell, Corning and Elmira. There are several levee systems within the Chemung River basin – Avoca, Addison, Bath, Corning, Painted Post, Gang Mills, Canisteo, and Elmira in New York and Athens, Elkland, Lawrenceville, and
Tioga in Pennsylvania – providing protection to population centers such as the Village of Addison, City of Hornell, Village of Bath, Gang Mills in the Town of Erwin, City of Elmira, Village of Avoca, City of Corning, Villages of Painted Post, Riverside, South Corning, Village of Canisteo in New York, and Cities of
Elkland, Lawrenceville, and Tioga in Pennsylvania.

There are five USACE dams in the Chemung River basin - Almond Dam located on Canacadea Creek, Arkport Dam located on Canisteo River, Cowanesque Dam located on the Cowanesque River, Tioga Dam located on the Tioga River, and Hammond Dam located on Crooked Creek.

Subject Keywords

ResSIM,GeoHMS,USACE,IWRSS,USACE Corps Water Management System (CWMS),FIA,RAS,Chemung River Watershed

How to cite

Myers, J. (2018). USACE CWMS - Chemung River Watershed, HydroShare, http://www.hydroshare.org/resource/e30596c1267342df888d3eaae33ec4e2

This resource is shared under the Creative Commons Attribution CC BY.

 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
CC-BY

Sharing status:

  • Discoverable Resource  Discoverable
  • Non Sharable Resource  Not Shareable

Coverage

Spatial:

 Coordinate System/Geographic Projection:  WGS 84 EPSG:4326
 Coordinate Units:  Decimal degrees
Place/Area Name: Chemung River Watershed

North Latitude
42.7853°
East Longitude
-76.5389°
South Latitude
41.4657°
West Longitude
-77.8690°

Collection Contents

Add Title Type Owners Sharing Status My Permission Remove
USACE CWMS - Chemung River Watershed CompositeResource Jessie Myers · Jason Sheeley · Adrian Christopher Discoverable Open Access
USACE CWMS - Chemung River Watershed Bank Lines GeographicFeatureResource Jessie Myers · Jason Sheeley · Adrian Christopher Discoverable Open Access
USACE CWMS - Chemung River Watershed Centerline GeographicFeatureResource Jessie Myers · Jason Sheeley · Adrian Christopher Discoverable Open Access
USACE CWMS - Chemung River Watershed Conversion Points GeographicFeatureResource Jessie Myers · Jason Sheeley · Adrian Christopher Discoverable Open Access
USACE CWMS - Chemung River Watershed Study Area GeographicFeatureResource Jessie Myers · Jason Sheeley · Adrian Christopher Discoverable Open Access

Authors

The people or organizations that created the intellectual content of the resource.

Name Organization Address Phone Author Identifiers
Jessie Myers Army Corps of Engineers
Extended Metadata
Name Value
USACE Model Registry Point of contact: USACEModelRegistryAdmin@usace.army.mil

Ratings

Be the first one to  +1 this.  (You need to be logged in to rate this.)

Comments

There are currently no comments

New Comment

required